about our school
History: On September 8, 1949 the Board of Education purchased 9.866 acres of land from Catherine Higgens, her husband, and Richard Grundry heirs of R. F. Gundry. On June 2, 1950 the Board of Education purchased an additional 4.857 acres of land, now the athletic field, from the Baltimore Broadcasting Company. In 1951, the work was started by Wildberger and Best to begin construction. Westowne officially opened her doors in September 1952.
Community: Westowne Elementary School is located in the Southwestern corner of Baltimore County, the county which surrounds the metropolitan city of Baltimore, Maryland. We are supported by our active PTA and incredible volunteers.
School:Westowne’s academic program provides instruction for students in Pre-Kindergarten through grade five. The total enrollment is approximately 535 students. After graduating from Westowne, students attend Catonsville Middle School, Arbutus Middle School, or independent schools.
Staff:Westowne’s students meet Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) because of the dedicated staff. The school's professional staff is composed of 23 regular classroom teachers and 6 special education teachers. In addition, students attend classes in art, vocal music, library media, instrumental music, physical education, and technology integration. Enhancing programs and services are provided by the following: special education resource teachers, reading specialist, guidance counselor, speech/ language clinician, occupational therapist, physical therapist, ESOL, behavior interventionist, and registered school nurse
WESTOWNE IS ALSO PROUD TO HAVE BEEN A MARYLAND GREEN SCHOOL SINCE 2009. TEACHERS INCORPORATE ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION INTO INSTRUCTION IN ORDER TO ENSURE THAT STUDENTS BECOME STRONG STEWARDS OF THE EARTH. TEACHERS RECEIVE PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT IN GREEN PRACTICES AND WESTOWNE ENGAGES IN ENVIRONMENTAL BEST MANAGEMENT PRACTICES IN THE SCHOOL BUILDING.
CLICK TO VIEW SOME OF OUR GREEN INITIATIVES.